Sweet Potato, Pea and Chorizo Quesadillas with Guacamole
In Episode 3 we talked about super foods. It’s time for a “super” supper as Mark takes the trendiest and healthiest of veg to make the tastiest of dinners (with some meat thrown in too of course!)
Mark has used the “super foods” avocado and tomatoes to create a delicious guacamole. The “super” sweet potatoes are combined with pea and chorizo for hearty quesadillas.
What make’s these ingredients so super?
Avocado – did you know that avocados are a fruit? They are also packed full of vitamins and nutrients which is why they are labelled a “super food”. But be cautious of enjoying them in large quantities. They contain a high amount of monounsaturated fat which helps to protect your cardiovascular system but also means they are high in calories.
Tomato – tomatoes aren’t often labelled a super food but they are nutrient dense and contain lycopene which has anti-inflammatory properties as well as being linked to other amazing health benefits.
Sweet potato – the bright orange cousin of the humble potato is a well known super food thanks to its high levels of beta carotene (an antioxidant) and its high levels of vitamin A. But don’t forget about white potatoes which are also delicious and nutritious!
We’ve highlighted some of the health benefits of these particular fruits and veggies but remember, all fruits and vegetables are super in their own way and can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet!
Sweet Potato, Pea and Chorizo Quesadillas
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 150 grams garden peas par-boiled and drained
- 100 grams chorizo sausage diced
- cheddar cheese grated
- 4 large corn tortillas
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (fan assisted oven).
- Place the sweet potatoes on to a baking tray and bake for 45/50 mins. Remove from oven, cut in half and allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Scoop out the potatoes and place in a bowl, stirring through the peas
- In a med/hot pan fry the chorizo for 5-6 mins until crisp on the outside. Drain in a bowl lined with kitchen towel to remove oil before adding to the potatoes.
- Mix the ingredients to combine and season with the salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil a pan on medium heat, add a tortilla and spoon the potato mixture over half the tortilla. Top with grated cheddar then fold over the other half.
- Press down and cook for 60 seconds before flipping over. The tortilla should be nicely browned and crisp on the outside, with melty cheese on the inside
- Remove from the pan, cut in half and serve.
- 2 avocados
- 0.5 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes seeds removed and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed and finely diced
- coriander leaves and stalks chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the stones. Using a spoon, remove the flesh from the peel and place in a bowl.
- Mash the avocado with the back of a fork leaving it a little chunky.
- Add the other ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
About the author
This recipe was created by Mark.
Mark is a personal trainer and qualified nutritionist. He loves coming up with delicious recipes that won’t leave you feeling hungry!