Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Blueberries and Pistachio
In episode 3 we talked about super foods. Here’s Emma’s super food packed recipe!
This vegan chocolate mousse is packed full of so called “super foods”. The mousse is made from avocado, cocoa powder and maple syrup and it’s topped with blueberries and pistachio.
What makes these ingredients so super?
Avocado – this bright green fruit is packed full of vitamins and nutrients which have led to it’s “super food” label. It also contains a high amount of monounsaturated fat which helps to protect your cardiovascular system. But, all that fat means extra calories so they are best enjoyed in moderation!
Dark chocolate – scientists have been telling us for years that dark chocolate is packed full of antioxidants with some even claiming it’s “better for you” than even green tea or wine if we look at antioxidant content alone!
Maple syrup – when people think of “healthy sugar” they often think of honey. But, did you know that maple syrup has the same antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties as green tea! Now which natural sugar is the real “super food”?
Blueberries – this small blue berry is packed full of antioxidants and it’s said that they can lower your risk of heart disease and cancer. But don’t be fooled, other berries are full of antioxidants too! Why not try raspberries or even blackberries when they are in season?
Pistachios – these bright green nuts aren’t often labelled as a super food but did you know they are one of the most vitamin B6 rich foods around? Vitamin B6 is needed for regulating blood sugar levels and making hemoglobin (which transports oxygen in our blood). They’re also a great source of potassium. Who knew?!
But remember, all fruits and vegetables are super in their own way and can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Blueberries and Pistachios
- Food processor
- 1 large avocado ripe, peeled and stone removed
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp blueberries fresh, not frozen
- 2 tbsp pistachios roughly chopped
- Roughly mash the avocados before placing into a food processor along with the maple syrup and the cocoa powder.
- Begin by blitzing on a low speed until the ingredients start to come together. Turn the food processor up high and process until the mix is creamy and completely smooth. (Add extra maple syrup as desired).
- Divide the mixture between two glasses or ramekins and top with the blueberries and the chopped pistachio nuts immediately before serving.
About the author
This recipe was created by Emma.
Emma is a vegan food blogger who has been sharing her recipes with the world for the last 10 years.
You can find more recipes like this at SupperitheSuburbs.com